Check out these Lava Stone Cookers to Accent Your Lava Countertops or Just Purchase for Your Home
Miners quarry lava stone from inactive volcanoes. Auvergne Volcano image link:
After the stone is quarried, it is cut into slabs for easier transport. Once the slab reaches the manufacturer, the slab is custom cut for a homeowner’s order.
Homeowners can opt from a wide range of color options. After the slab is cut into a countertop, the countertop is glazed using enamel. The countertop is then baked at 1,300 degrees to create a nonporous, smooth finish that repels water.
As the enameled lava countertop cools, small cracks in the enamel will form, known as crazing.
Crazing creates a crackled appearance, which sets lave stone countertops apart from its competitors. The enameled countertop is available in both gloss and matte finishes. The final finish provides you with a perfectly smooth countertop.
The Pros and Cons of Lava Countertops
Lava countertops offer a number of advantages and disadvantages that set them apart from other types of countertops, including granite, marble, and quartz.
Advantages of Lava Countertops
- Temperature Resistant – Lava stone naturally dissipates heat, which means hot pots and pans can be placed on the countertop without worrying about damaging the surface of the countertops. Temperature fluctuations will not cause cracking, and scorch marks will not form on the countertop.
- Durability – The glazing process creates an exceptionally hard countertop that will not fade when exposed to direct sunlight. Acids and other corrosive chemicals will not etch the surface of the countertop. Finally, the countertop will not scratch or chip easily; however, you should always use a cutting board on your countertops to protect the edge of your knives.
- Nonporous – The glazing applied to the lava countertop creates an impermeable surface. Liquids will bead on the surface rather than soaking into the countertop, making the countertop stain resistant. Furthermore, lava countertops do not harbor bacteria, which is perfect for kitchens.
- Indoor and Outdoor Use – The permanence and strength of lave countertops can withstand everything Mother Nature throws at them. In fact, lava stone has been used in France for almost a century for outdoor signs.
- Variety of Colors – Lava countertops are covered in an enamel finish, which means you can have a countertop of almost any color imaginable.
- Sustainability – Lava stone is naturally occurring and virtually indestructible, which reduces countertop waste in landfills.
- Low Maintenance – Lava countertops do not require specialized cleaners simply wash using soap and water. Additionally, the countertops do not need to be sealed.
Disadvantages of Lava Countertops
- Cost – Lava countertops are only produced in France. The stone is extracted from the craters found in Auvergne, France. The main disadvantage of lava countertops is the cost. Homeowners can anticipate paying between $250 and $350 per square foot, for installed lava countertops. This price is quite a bit more than marble or granite. The main reason this countertop is so expensive is that the countertop must be imported; therefore, shipping costs are high.
- Cannot be Refinished – Once the enamel is baked on the lava slab, the color is permanent. The lava countertops cannot be refinished, which is why it is extremely important that you choose a color that you will love for many years to come.
Lava Countertop Care and Maintenance Tips
Lava countertops are impervious to stains and bacteria, making it a truly maintenance-free countertop. All you need to keep your countertops looking fabulous is a damp cloth. Wipe your countertops down with the wet cloth and then buff dry with a soft cloth to prevent streaking.
If a sticky substance dries on the surface, soak a cloth with hot water and place the cloth over the sticky substance to help loosen the mess. Then, wipe the countertop with a damp cloth to remove all traces of the sticky substance. Finish by buffing to prevent water spots and streaking.
If hot water does not remove the dried-on sticky substance, you can use a steamer cleaner to blast away the gunk. If you do not have a handheld steamer, a plastic putty knife can be used to scrape away the stuck-on mess gently. Then, soak the remaining sticky substance with a cloth soaked in hot water. Then, wipe down the surface down with a solution of water and dishwashing detergent. Finish by wiping with a clean damp cloth.
Unlike natural stone countertops, lava countertops do not need to be sealed. When the manufacturer bakes on the colored enamel, it creates a stain-free, maintenance-free finish that never requires a sealant.
Lava countertops come in a variety of colors and textures, so you can find just the surface you want for your kitchen or bathroom countertops. Most lava countertop manufacturers offer around 30 standard colors; however, you can also have a custom colored countertop produced. [Image links: https://www.pyrolave.com/en/the-magic-of-colour/, http://www.ranierilavastone.com/lava-color-palette/] Simply send a color swatch and the manufacturer will color match your selection. Before your countertop is manufactured, the manufacturer will send you a sample to ensure the color is exactly what you want.
Lava countertops are made from sustainable materials and are virtually indestructible, which makes them an environmentally friendly countertop. However, there are very few manufacturers of lava countertops, which means they will need to be transported over great distances. The transportation requirements of lava countertops increase the price of lava countertops significantly and decrease the environmental friendliness of the product.
The standard size of a lava slab is 4.2 feet by 7.8 feet, and jumbo lava slabs are 4.5 feet by 9.8 feet. Manufacturers offer a number of edge profiles, allowing you to customize your lava countertops for your indoor or outdoor areas.
Glazed lava countertops are the perfect choice for kitchens and bathrooms [image link http://www.ranierilavastone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IM01.jpg] where humidity levels are typically high. Additionally, the enamel glazing makes lava countertops impervious to heat damage, staining, or damage from chemicals.